Older Reviews

VANILLA SKY (2001)
Dream or reality - which is the nightmare?

VANILLA SKY, directed by Cameron Crowe and starring Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz, is the American remake of the Spanish film OPEN YOUR EYES (1997); and while I prefer the earlier, slightly less complex version, I think this one does it justice. What can't do justice to this part mystery, part love story, part sci-fi multi-layered film is a synopsis. All I'll say is that's its about a young man named David (Cruise) who has wealth, good looks and a gorgeous f**k buddy (Cameron Diaz) who adores him. But just when he thinks he's found true love with an enigmatic dancer named Sofia (Cruz, same role as in the original), he's in a car accident that leaves his face horribly disfigured and loses his dream life ... or is all just a dream? After several viewings, I'm still trying to figure it all out. Cruz is wonderful in both films, though I think she's better in the Spanish-language version. And here's something I never thought I'd say: Cruise is terrific. His persona fits the role of David perfectly. My only quibble is that I think director Crowe, in his zeal to top the Spanish version, added unnecessary plot points and symbolic elements. I get the feeling he's saying, "Look how clever I am," which comes across even in his commentary track.