Older Reviews

LAURA

Lydeckerisms

Waldo Lydecker (Clifton Webb), a columnist: “I shall never forget the weekend Laura died. A silver sun burned through the sky like a huge magnifying glass. It was the hottest Sunday in my recollection. I felt as if I were the only human being left in New York... I had just begun Laura's story when another of those detectives came to see me. I had him wait.”
__________

Lydecker:
“How singularly innocent I look this morning.”
__________

Lydecker: “I should be sincerely sorry to see my neighbor's children devoured by wolves.”
__________
Lydecker: In my case, self-absorption is completely justified. I have never discovered any other subject quite so worthy of my attention.”
__________

Lydecker, talking about how Laura felt about him: "Laura considered me the wisest, the wittiest, the most interesting man she’d ever meet. I was in complete accord with her."
__________

Lydecker: “I don't use a pen. I write with a goose quill dipped in venom.”
__________

Lydecker to McPherson (Dana Andrews): “You'd better watch out, McPherson, or you'll finish up in a psychiatric ward. I doubt they've ever had a patient who fell in love with a corpse.”